Saturday, January 21, 2012

Life After Parvo: The road to recovery

I write this for those who have a dog that has parvo, or that recovers parvo. There are very few pieces of material floating around on the web that describe in detail what recovery is like. I have spent many hours trying to find blogs and articles, to little avail. Scouring Youtube won't help you either, as videos that come up when you search after parvo, parvo recovery, etc are mostly puppies bouncing around and being, well, puppies.

This caused me to despair. My pup, Mochi, wasn't acting young and playful at all. So I present to you my case study.

We had Mochi for a day before we took him to the vet and discovered he had parvo. He had a 50/50 chance of living. Parvo treatment is expensive, and we used crowdfunding to help us gain the funds to see him through to recovery. If you are reading this and don't think you will be able to afford the full vet price, refer to a blog post I wrote here. http://wtstephens.blogspot.com/2012/01/online-toolbox-that-saved-our-parvo.html

Mochi was in "puppy ICU" for a full week. My fiance would become quite upset when day 2, 3 and 4 would roll around and he would show no real sign of improvement. Sure enough, he regained his appetite slowly. Then we took him home.

The first couple nights I slept downstairs with him. He would only wake up when he had to use the bathroom. On the way back. The first couple days he only had a little bit to eat and drink. I had to put wet food down for him, which tended to spark a bit of an appetite and then he would eat a couple pieces of dry food. Many times we would have to coax him to eat by hand feeding him. He began having one large meal a day and nibbling through the rest. At first he did not have a bowel movement until day 3 home. I was worrying about that, but when he was finally able to pass one we were all happy. Now, 8 days later, he has about two bowel movements a day and is much more regular.

For the first few days he was probably only awake for about an hour out of the day, if that. They sleep non-stop for the first few days, as they are rebuilding their immune system and regenerating their damaged gastro system. Mochi's immune system was especially shot, as he was (and still is) battling a nasty case of the kennel cough. The first couple days every waking moment would be accompanied by coughing. We went out and bought him a humidifier, which works wonders - especially at nighttime when the coughing fits are more frequent. Every day there is a slight recovery from his kennel cough, I am happy to say.

Eight days later and he still sleeps a lot. I would say he is probably only awake for about 3-4 hours out of the day. His favorite spots are his dog bed that a friend got him, as well as the couch. He was not able to climb (not jump) on the couch until day 4 or 5.

On the first few days, I really expected to see major, dramatic changes. I learned that the minor changes that come day by day are worth celebrating in itself. One of my largest concerns was, and still is, his interest level in the outside world. I am happy to see that every day he explores a little bit more. It started with just walking around the side of the house. This moved to him exploring the house, to him walking all the way to the back alley yesterday (he walked about 75 yards, the most he's done so far). Then there are the little things. When he goes out, he will roll in the hay. Not for too long, though, as this wears him out fairly quickly. He doesn't really exhibit this energy inside the house, yet at least. On day 6 I got him to run toward me, though he could only do about 4 feet worth of running. Yesterday we ran along the side of the house for about 30 feet. Then he went back to sleep :)

He didn't really act like a puppy until day 6 or 7, and when he did it would only be in extremely small, few minute intervals. Then his tail would go back between his legs and he would slunk in the house before resting up for his next big adventure, usually hours later.

As for socializing, he takes minimal interest in other people and animals. On day 2 he started becoming interested in the cats, but he would only watch them from afar. When he would sleep, the cats would approach him and sniff him out - sometimes waking him up and putting him in a coughing fit that would scare the cats away. By about day 5 he began trying to walk up to the cats. Him and Luna (my black cat) touched noses once, totally cute.

He is interested in people, but only to a small degree. When I take him out, he usually follows me. I like this because it means I don't need to put him on a leash until he gets to the point where he wants to wonder off.

Last night he was in puppy heaven. I had a birthday get-together at my house and when people started arriving he loved the attention. He licked one of my friends on the beard, and nuzzled another. He has only licked my arm once, so I'm a bit jealous (just kidding).

We learned he can sleep through just about anything, as he never woke up once during a very loud game of Apples to Apples. Everyone wanted to hold him on their lap has he slept. And you know what?

He was ok with that.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'm currently scouring the internet for advice related to recovering Parvo puppies because we just brought our little survivor home from the vet today. It was nice to find something related to our story that I could possibly reference. Although we know all dogs are different! Happy for your outcome ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely forgot about this blog.

      A few years down the road I feel that I should add a couple things. Largely, I believe parvo messed with his brain.

      While he is intelligent enough, he has difficulty with his short term memory. I used to think it was frontal lobe impulsivity until I started doing memory tests. In one such test I make him lay down and stay while he watches me put a treat under one of two red Solo cups. At varying time intervals I would ok him to come find it. Overall, he guessed worse than chance alone.

      For him, it's ok because he is still intelligent enough to be trainable. It's just that he tends to forget his commands after about five seconds.

      He's also very lethargic. While I don't have any evidence to support that this was because of parvo, I have read that this can sometimes be a lifegoing symptom. He sleeps all through the night and is only awake for around seven hours out of the day.

      He is a wonderful dog. The investment to get him treated was worth every penny and sleepless night. He has enriched my life and I hope we have enriched his.

      On a side note, he's just about normal in every other regard. He eats fine. He has no medical issues and doesn't get sick often. He has never been aggressive. He's a great travelling companion. We have taken him everywhere, including a road trip from WV to Key West.

      I'm glad this old blog post was useful to you!

      Delete
  2. My dog survived parvo. He is a mix between Shitzopo and Jack Russel. It took about 8 days in ICU, lots of medication and blood transfusions. He is about 9 month old now and he is very active. I have 3 other males and 2 females in the house. Since beginning this year he changed towards the other dogs. He growls and attacks them just for walking by him or getting to close to me. My other dogs are getting afraid when he walks in the room. They start shaking and trying to hide. On the other hand he can be so lovable and playful. I'm afraid he will hurt one of my other dogs really bad. He is bigger then all of them. What should I do? Is he going to be viscous and violent? Please I'm open for suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a family if chiweenie. On a Monday my baby boy had upset stomach, thought it may of been something he ate. Tuesday he ead up playing with the other dogs. His sister had diarrhea on Tuesday, thought it was realated to his uoset stomach possibly something they ate. In the early morning hours Wednesday, the baby boy was sick again. Took both to vet and received parvo diagnoses. We came home with Reglin,and Albon. Started Pedialyte ever hour. The little suster never git sick anymore,and the baby boy did better til Friday morning. He started getting up going to water bowl, thought this was a good sign. By Friday evening he vomittv one big time, then fell over and blec out his bottom. We rushed to vet but it was judt to late,he went hypothemic and died. His sister is still taking antibiotics and has had no signs since Wednesday. They had completely different reactions to this illness. We are all heart broken. Now I'm dealing with grieving his mother, father,and sister. We have bleached and put out lime on yard,as well as thrown away toys and linens. The house and everything in it has been touched with bleach water. My advice would be read everything you can to educate yourself, never stop trying, love them completely, give them comfort and until they have all their vaccinations do ur best to keep them safe and healthy. May God bless all of you and your fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for typos, couldn't get threw this without crying.

      Delete
  4. The mother,father and sister are doing well. They are grieving, still looking for him and whinnig occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Currently have a puppy that is receiving treatment for this terrible disease. All because the breeder couldn't make the effort to vaccinate on the correct age. We were warned there might be lifelong problems for her, especially with liver and kidneys. Looked all over the web and couldn't find anything about life after parvo, so thank you so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete